Thursday, August 8, 2013

Source

It was the last day of my very first trip to Jinja, Uganda.  As a final treat, my friends arranged for us to travel by fishing boat to the source of the Nile river.

I was super excited.  After all, this is the beginning of the longest river in the world!  I didn't know what to expect, but my imagination had conjured up a few images that were very waterfall-like.  I couldn't wait to see the impressive beginning of such a mighty river.

The reality was underwhelming to say the least. 

There's no fireworks.  It's not big and impressive.  In fact, if someone hadn't pointed it out to me, I probably would have missed it.  (It didn't help that it was even more tame than usual that day.)

Here's my picture from that day.  Can you find it?  Here, I'll help.  See that little bit of extra rippling in the water next to giraffe's head. 

Yep.  That's it.

That's where everything changes and this body of water goes from being Lake Victoria to being part of the longest river on planet Earth.

It's just a constant steady bubbling where the contained lake takes direction and starts flowing.

But the more I thought about it, the more I it grew on me.

May I also be driven, steadily and consistently, by something that just bubbles up within me, urging me to break from whatever limits might be surrounding me.  It doesn't have to be fireworks.  It can be a still small voice -- speaking words of vision and direction and leading me to a brighter tomorrow.

-----------------------------
We take our lead from Christ, who is the source of everything we do. He keeps us in step with each other. His very breath and blood flow through us, nourishing us so that we will grow up healthy in God, robust in love. ~ Ephesians 4:15, The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment