Saturday, July 2, 2011

Skadoosh

I love Po.  I love that he's imperfect and clumsy, and that his belly makes an awesome "boing" sound whenever it gets hit.

I also love that he doesn't turn into a flawless kung fu fighter. He has brilliant moments. But right after doing something fully awesome, he's just as likely to mess up again.

I can relate to that.

But what I love most about Po. In a word: "Skadoosh."


This is a word that only shows up once in each Kung Fu Panda movie.  At the end of the first movie, when Po discovers his self confidence, and in a battle during the second movie when Po has his first moment of peace with his heritage.

No one sees it coming because Po is an average guy.  His belly gets in the way.  He wrestles with these things.  He's a slow learner.

But I found myself mulling over that extra "something" in those scenes. The bit of faith.

It may be brought on by the inconvenient pressure of being the person caught between the rock and the hard place.  Or the acceptance that good, bad, or ugly, this is what you've got to fight with and the bad guy is right there so you're as ready as you're going to be.  Or the inspiration that comes from knowing you're a part of a fight worth fighitng.   Or maybe just the clicking into place of the wisdom people have been trying to tell you all along.  Maybe a little bit of all that.

But that bit of faith makes all the difference.

Deep breath.  Skadoosh.

That's why I love Po. 

(Well, that and his belly.  I do love his sound-effect-laden belly.)


Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. ~ Matthew 17:20

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I love Kung Fu Panda. And I can definitely relate to the imperfect Po.

    ReplyDelete