Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Spock

A short thought today.  It struck me why I love Spock so much.

He's a child of two worlds, and he's constantly trying to find the balance between both of them.

I feel the sting in the bully's taunt: You're neither human nor Vulcan, and therefore have no place in this universe.

Because I often I feel that way

I feel the conflict between the earthly way and the heavenly way.  I know what Paul means when he says, "The flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other" (Galatians 5:17).  I think there's a deep truth in the statement "We're not physical beings having a spiritual experience, but spiritual beings having a physical experience."  (I can't remember who said that originally, but I hear it from Steve Hall all the time.)

Like Spock, there's just no escaping it.  I'm a child of two worlds.  But could you imagine if Spock completely shut off his human side to be fully Vulcan?  Or if he completely denied his Vulcan side to be fully human?  He just wouldn't work.

Neither would I.


Thank goodness we both have support.

"As always, whatever you choose to be, you will have a proud mother." ~ Amanda Grayson

"You will always be a child of two worlds. I am grateful for this, and for you." ~ Sarek

No comments:

Post a Comment