Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Coffee

Every morning when I wake up, I make a fresh pot of coffee. I don’t do this for myself, as I am not a coffee drinker. I do it for my family, who I love very much.

There was a string of mornings earlier this year when the coffee would just sit there. Dad was still in the hospital, mom was staying in Bethesda to be near him, and Grandpa would just forget. After several mornings of dumping out a full pot of coffee to make a new one, I thought to myself, “Why am I even doing this? No one’s drinking it. This is just a waste.”

(Quick side note: For some reason, the idea of reheating old coffee just doesn’t seem right to me. I think this is because even though I am not a coffee drinker, I absolutely love the smell. Mmmmm.)

God whispered to my heart, “My mercies are new every morning.”

This phrase comes from a passage in Lamentations, and I can’t think of his mercy being new every morning without continuing on to the next thought “Great is your faithfulness!” As the hymn says: All I have needed, your hand has provided. Great is your faithfulness Lord unto me.

How often do I forget that?

Whether I need it first thing in the morning, or after a long exhausting day.
Whether I need a perk up after a hard night, or just a cup to sit and savor the beginning of a new day.
Whether I need a cup or the whole pot.
If I ignore it and leave it forgotten on the counter.

His mercy is there. Waiting. He doesn’t need it. It’s not for him. It’s all for us, and he is faithful to provide it. Not yesterday’s leftovers. Nope. Brand new. Fresh brewed. Every morning.

Don't hesitate to pour yourself a cup if you need one.  I got this picture of myself carrying the guilt and shame of my failures and struggles, and how that's like someone who leaves the coffee forgotten on the counter, only to be poured down the drain. What a waste!

I brew coffee every morning because I want my family to drink it. God's mercy and compassion are the same. He wants us to be free of the burden. That’s why he went through all that trouble to brew the pot.

Why does he do it? Because he loves us.

A short thought to perk you up this morning.

-------------------
"It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him." ~ Lamentations 3:22-24

No comments:

Post a Comment