Thursday, August 22, 2013

Solo

A little while ago, I went to a dinner and music night at a local Italian restaurant. We were upstairs in one of the group dinner rooms, and since we weren't really in a performance venue, it was an unplugged and acoustic sort of night. It felt like we were in someone's living room -- warm and intimate and laid back. Just a lovely evening.

Then, in the middle of a song, the musician made a comment that really struck me. He paused for a moment, mid-guitar-strum, and apologized. He said, "There's usually an awesome solo here, but you'll just have to imagine it tonight since I don't have anyone to back me up." Without the context of the rhythm and the foundation of the chord progression, the solo just wouldn't make sense.

It reminded me none of us are meant to do this thing alone. By backing each other up, we also give each other the chance to shine.

Truth be told, I wouldn’t have known the difference. I was attending that evening as a tag-along to some friends and this guy’s music was completely new to me. Until that moment, it was another lovely song in a great set. But after the apology, I knew there was something missing, and part of me wondered what it was. It made me a little sad.

It reminded me there are people who have yet to experience what it feels like to encounter God’s profound, out-of-the-box love. They have no idea what they’re missing, and if we neglect the basics, then there’s no platform for them to hear the good stuff.

It reminded me context and good foundation make all the difference in the world. What we say and do matters, but the how and where and when and why are critical. "If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, (or awesome guitar solos) but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal." 1 Cor 13:1 Without the context and foundation of love, it's empty and abrasive.

I don’t want to be a clanging cymbal. I’d rather be a soaring solo.

Let’s let our lives be a love song. One where each of us has a chance to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment