Thursday, June 5, 2014

She Speaks

Favorite Proverbs: #34 She Speaks

She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. Proverbs 31:26

Who needs to hear a word of grace, mercy, or love from you today?

This is the kind of question I end up pondering throughout my day.  The quick answer is, who doesn't?  But this proverb inspires me to actively look at those around me, and intentionally think about what I want to say before I say it.

Liz shared: "When our Proverbs 31 sister speaks, “her mouth is full” (CEB). She offers something worth hearing. People gladly listen, knowing her words will be “like apples of gold in settings of silver” (Proverbs 25:11). Most days, my words are like stale popcorn in a striped paper bag."

I would be fibbing if I said I didn't often feel like that too.  The "she" in this verse is pretty intimidating and sets a pretty high standard.  But I'm encouraged by another scripture that says, "What you say flows from what is in your heart" (Luke 6:45, NLT).  Taking verses like this one to heart and making them part of my internal dialogue is the first step to building that treasury from which my words can flow.  Because really, who doesn't need to hear a good word today?

No comments:

Post a Comment