Tuesday, June 3, 2014

One Word

Favorite Proverbs: #36 One Word

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

How high up on your list is getting wisdom?

Growing up, one of the things I most admired in my dad was his wisdom.  No matter how complicated or conflicted the thing was that I was struggling with, he had this way of pausing for a moment and then finding the simple, wise truth in the center of the storm.  It never ceased to amaze me, and at the same time gave me a great model to look up to and aspire toward.

The critical piece of that puzzle is the pause.  My dad showed me not only the incredible priority that we should place on getting wisdom, but also the essential step of stopping to think (and pray) and put that wisdom into action.  As Thomas Edison said, "The value of an idea lies in the using of it."

I'm grateful that, like so many other things in scripture, wisdom is a gift.  It says in James 1:5, "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."  (Side note:  without finding fault.  How awesome is that?)

Like Liz pointed out, it does cost though.  It costs time. (The pause.  It's critical).  And if I'm honest, it costs a bit of pride too.  (Seeing the whole picture or a different perspective means zooming out of and off of me.  Sometimes that feels like it costs very dearly indeed.)

But the result.  Priceless.

And worth it every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment