Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cover Up

Favorite Proverbs: #35 Cover Up

Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs. Proverbs 10:12

Since “love erases all sins by forgiving them” (NIRV), how does God’s love help you love and forgive others?

Well, knowing just how much grace I've been shown certainly helps me to turn around and show that love and grace to others. But in pondering over this verse, I kept thinking about the difference between "like" and "love."  I almost see the former as an emotion and the latter as an action. And as I've grown, I've come to view "like" as optional, but "love" as mandatory.  If I want to be a Christ-follower, I've got to show love.  The kind of love that is patient, kind, and keeps no record of wrongs.  And maybe that's how a Jesus-kind-of-love erases.  It doesn't keep a record and wipes the slate clean. Oddly enough, while our friends and family can most benefit from our "like", I sometimes think that it's those on the periphery that are most impacted by our "love" -- those counter-intuitive actions and choices that allow us to be the social center of God's kindness.  Those moments can touch a heart, smooth a conflict, and change the course of a day.

**Edit**
That's not to say of course that those close to us don't benefit from our love.  After all, that's often where we experience the deepest conflict, and where the intersection of like and love gets very real. (And where we have the very real opportunity to intentionally let go of the offense and hurt that can deepen into hatred and instead choose to keep no record of wrong, and show love instead.)  I guess what I mean is, when you're on the receiving end of something unexpected...especially when it's unwarranted...it stands out.

No comments:

Post a Comment