Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tenacious G

Inspired by my friends (including Marie), I've picked a word to focus on for 2010.

When Mandy was first telling me that they were choosing a word of the year, I didn't wait for the rules and proclaimed that mine would be "ubiquitous." It was the first word that popped into my head. (No, I'm not kidding.) Mandy just paused and laughed at me, and then went on to explain.

The idea is to choose a word that you can focus on, mediate on, and reflect upon as you go about your daily life.

Oddly enough, 'ubiquitous' is not such a bad word for me. It's an adjective that means "existing or being everywhere." For someone who has as many diverse interests as I do, I often feel like my life is a blur and I'm surprised that I can keep up with everything at once. So even though it's an awesome word...it's not my word for 2010.

Tenacious
Etymology: Latin tenac-, tenax tending to hold fast, from tenēre to hold
Date: 1607
1 : not easily pulled apart : cohesive
2 : persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired

And call it God's sense of humor or Pastor Steve's impeccable taste, but my word fits perfectly with our memory verse for the year: Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. Hebrews 10:23 (New Living Translation)

They're like two peas in a pod. I'm genuinely looking forward to 2010...

1 comment:

  1. I think tenacious is an excellent word for you. "Giving up" doesn't strike me as something in your character.

    I'm glad you chose "one little word for 2010"!

    ReplyDelete