Wednesday, January 27, 2010

In Season

Psalm 1:3 (NIV) He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

I've been thinking about seasons, and fruitfulness.  I've admitted before that I have a great internal pressure to do things that are "big" and "great."  But it's nice to be reminded that there are times to bear fruit, and times to rest.  Times to prepare and times to grow. 

I love how the New Living Translation uses the phrase "bearing fruit each season." It's very similar to the thought in the NIV....except that it reminds me that while I'm resting or preparing, it's still a time to be producing.  It also gives me the freedom to not try to force an apple crop when it's not the time.  It's not always time for apples.  Sometimes it's the season for oranges.  Or cherries. 

Patience.  Investment.  Struggle.  Growth.  Pruning.  Harvest.  ...Pie.  I'm grateful for the season behind, and looking forward to the one ahead.

1 comment:

  1. And sometimes it's enough to just get the seed in the ground.....

    Welcome back to blogging Regina!

    ReplyDelete