Thursday, June 9, 2011

Marines

This is what I read on my lunch break today...

When I was in high school, I seriously considered joining the Marines; this was when they first came out with the commericals for "the few, the proud, the Marines." What turned me off was that in those advertisements, everyone was always running.  Always.  And I hate running.

But you know what? I didn't bother to ask if they would modify the rules for me so I could run less, and maybe also do fewer push-ups. That would've been pointless and stupid, and I knew it.  Everyone knows that if you sign up for the Marines, you have to do whatever they tell you.  They own you.

Somehow this realization does not cross over to our thinking about the Christian life.  Jesus didn't say that if you wanted to follow Him you could do it in a lukewarm manner.  He said, "Take up your cross and follow me."
Crazy Love, Francis Chan, page 80

2 comments:

  1. Kind of like "partial obedience is not an option".
    I started a new Bible study...today we were discussing Saul. He would not have been a good Marine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny timing, I just started reading Crazy Love today. I'm only a few pages in, but can tell it's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete