Monday, March 23, 2009

Budgeting

In the middle of a recent conversation, a friend of mine said something that gave me great pause: "She's got half her life in front of her..." (Not that it matters, but we were discussing a 49-year old).

The statement bothered me because I think it's dangerous to bank on the fact that tomorrow is guaranteed. Yes, dream big. Plan for tomorrow. Make goals and shoot for them. In fact, one of my favorite quotes is: "Never give up on a dream because of the amount of time it will take to achieve it. The time will pass anyway."

But when it comes down to it, tomorrow *isn't* guaranteed. Who knows what illness or accident or circumstance might take our plans and cut them short? I'm not sharing this thought as a downer, but as a reminder that life is precious. Don't let it pass you by because you've got all this time left in front of you.

In some ways, life can't be budgeted and saved for later. You can't "make up" time. You have today, this moment, to use as wisely as you can.

Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is a beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is life, fight for it!
~ Mother Teresa

I expect to pass through this life but once. If, therefore there can be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do for any fellow being let me do it now... Let me not defer it, or neglect it, For I shall not pass this way again.
~ Etienne de Grellet du Mabillier

Death is the destiny of every man, the living should take this to heart.
~ Ecclesiastes 7:2

Grab life by the horns.
~ Dodge

No comments:

Post a Comment