Monday, July 7, 2008

Dialogue

I was listening to NPR and they were doing the headline of an upcoming talk. The first part of the sentence: “People who want to make the world in their own image.” I thought to myself, ‘Sounds great!’ I mean, I subscribe to Paul’s mindset of “Follow me as I follow Christ.” And honestly, if I didn’t think this was a good way to live and worthy of being passed on…why would I be so passionate about it? Just sayin.’

But the NPR guy didn’t stop there. The second part of the sentence: “Unwilling to dialogue with different points of view.” And I thought to myself. ‘That breaks my heart.’ Because isn’t dialogue the whole point? If I really believe in the “hope that lies within me” how am I supposed to spread it about if I don’t engage other people in some sort of conversation?

No one has it perfect, and no one has all the answers. We’ve all got learning and growing to do. I wonder how much more we would learn about life, the universe, and everything if we took the time to listen to another point of view. Just because it doesn’t look just like our own doesn’t mean it doesn’t have some truth in it. But how are we ever going to find common ground if we don’t even look at the terrain?

Part of following in the footsteps of Christ is being a witness. A witness is a person who was there…who has first hand knowledge. In a courtroom they sit there and answer questions they are asked by both the prosecution and the defense. Wouldn’t it be nice if we lived a life that caused people to ask questions? It would be a great way to start a dialogue…

“I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God.” Isaiah 43:11-12

1 comment:

  1. This "side of the pond" is totally lame-o!!

    Ridiculous worries of "choking hazards", close-minded hypocrits, self-promoting turd nuggets... what's this country coming to??

    ReplyDelete