Monday, April 16, 2012

Easter Eggs

(A little past the holiday, I know.)

A month before the big day, the church sent out the call:  "We need to fill 10,000 eggs for the Easter Egg Scramble.  Take a bag home with you and fill them with your favorite candy.  Or...with whatever.  Wouldn't be awesome to open an Easter egg and find a big juicy steak? Mmmmm."

Immediately my mind wandered to the logistics--and health concerns--that would make steak a very bad Easter egg filler. (You would need a super sized, refrigerated egg to make it work.)  I understood the point.  We get older and we want different things.  But it's not always a maturity thing. (Yes, eating chocolate all the time would be bad.  It's good to graduate to steak and veggies.)  We get tired of the simple stuff.  We get bored with the blessings that we have, and always seem to want more.  (We also like to make things complicated.)

I pictured God presenting me with an Easter basket.   One of those colorful ones filled with goodies and topped with a bow.  But I saw myself as a teenager, trying to look happy about getting the present but secretly thinking about how cheesy it was, how I was so beyond that now.  "Oh.  Thanks."  And in my mental image God's smile melted into hurt and disappointment. 

Remember what it was like to be ecstatic about finding a little plastic egg filled with a little bit of chocolate?  Remember the simple joy of recognizing a beautiful day?  Receiving a hug?  Hearing your song on the radio?  Of simply being forgiven?

We ended up scattering 14,000 eggs on the church parking lot for the Scramble. (I belong to a giving church family.) You couldn't take a step without hitting one.  They were everywhere.  All filled with tiny little happy thoughts disguised as Hershey Kisses, mini Twix bars, Reese's Cups, and Bubble Gum.

We have eggs scattered all over our days.  If we're willing to look.

Keep it simple.  Enjoy the chocolate.

---------------------------------------------------------
Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it. ~ Mark 10:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment