Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Convenience

Two years ago:  Caffeine and sugar.  Last year:  Hurry.  This year:  Convenience. 

I use my credit card for everything.  I like having everything on one bill at the end of the month.  I like the points I get to redeem later for gift cards (Amazon...*happy sigh*).  And if I'm honest, I LOVE the convenience of not carrying cash.  Just swipe and go. 

Also, if I'm really honest with myself, I have to admit that I've become far too used to spending.  I buy something almost every day.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a responsible spender.  I have an allowance that I stick to (most of the time).  But budget isn't the point.  It's the habit of swiping that card.  Just because I can.  And just because I know I'll get points for "free" things later.  It's quick.  It's easy.  It's the American way.

So... *insert dramatic drum-roll here*  Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm giving up my credit card for Lent. 

I'm giving up the convenience. I'm giving up the points.  And every time I find myself annoyed by the extra time and hassle, I hope it will remind me of all the "inconveniences" experienced on my behalf.  Jesus emptied every savings account and gave all he had in one big charge....racking up enough reward points so I could have the greatest free gift eternity could offer.

I think I can live without my credit card for a few weeks. 

(This will be a good chance for me to live up the moniker "Tenacious G.")

2 comments:

  1. Wow...that's a different style for Lent...well done. Good luck and thanks again for inspiring us to pay attention...even to the routine in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post and plan! You are quite an inspiration....I have some pondering to do.

    ReplyDelete