Monday, October 19, 2009

My Refrigerator

Here's a much happier thought (just to balance the post a little earlier)...

About a year ago, I started training for my first road race: The Celtic Solstice 5-miler.

Since then: My friends and I trekked to Frederick for the Twilight 5k; I filled in for my gym buddy and survived the hills of the Baltimore 10-miler; I ran under the Chesapeake Bay with the Fort McHenry Tunnel 5k (Which was really fun with the echoes of the Police Academy cadets cheering the whole time.); and I completed the Baltimore Half-Marathon (I even have the medal to prove it!).

So the things I proudly adhere to the refrigerator have changed a bit from when I was younger. My drawings and permission forms have morphed to magnets and race numbers, but I feel just as proud when I get to add to to the collection.

And you know, out of all the numbers that are up there, I think my favorite is for the 2008 Celtic Solstice 5-Miler. After all, It was the race that started my running journey.

I never thought a year ago that I would have been able to finish a Half-Marathon. I was scared to death of the thought of 5 miles, much less 13.1. Today, I'm setting a time goal for next year's Half, and even thinking about running a full.

What a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment